|Helpful Search Keywords
To view Word files you may need to download Microsoft Word Viewer.
To apply for the grant, please fill out our application (.pdf) All application materials must be submitted on or before April 1st. See application for more information.
The Center for Latin American Studies at SDSU is proud to be an awardee of the Tinker Foundation grant. The Tinker Foundation, founded by Edward Larocque Tinker in 1959, abides by Edward’s conviction that “the future freedom and prosperity of the peoples of the Americas depended upon their mutual trust, friendship and cooperation.” The Tinker institutional grant aims to create “effective policy changes to improve the lives of Latin Americans.” Tinker Grants fund the travel and research costs of graduate students who are doing preliminary research in Latin America and that intend to pursue a Ph.D. The objective of this grant is to provide students the opportunity to immerse themselves into their prospective field and attain language knowledge, cultural background, initiate research contacts, network with institutions, possible informants and/or research subjects, and gather research data (www.tinker.org).
Tinker funds will be awarded to graduate students doing preliminary research in Latin America who have an intention to pursue a Ph.D. The research will have a duration of two weeks to four months. In order to be considered for this award the student must state that they have the intention to pursue a Ph.D. A maximum of $2,000 will be awarded per student. The amount received will be determined by the review committee. If awarded the Tinker grant, ALL FUNDS MUST BE USED BY DECEMBER 31ST.
Students awarded a Tinker grant will receive 80% of the grant at the beginning of their research period; the other 20% will be disbursed once the student completes his/her research and presents a report to the Review Committee through a presentation and/or written paper.
The Center for Latin American Studies at SDSU proudly presents The Marco Fagoada Memorial Scholarship, an independent scholarship dedicated to SDSU’s Latin American Studies Master Student, Marco Fagoada, a passionate musician, activist, and scholar. The scholarship is specifically designed for Latin American Studies graduate students.
To read more about Fagoada’s work in the community please visit: http://mdmauris.wix.com/marcofagoadamemorial
For more information about how to apply for the scholarship or eligibility, please see the guidelines and application (.pdf).
Deadline to apply: April 26, 2013
LCTL Scholarships are available only to students who are interested in participating in SDSU's Center for Latin American Studies (CLAS) sponsored Mixtec and Zapotec summer language programs. This scholarship is designed for non-students and/or interested participants who do not meet FLAS eligibility requirements. Ideally, applicants will be active at the community level with local Mixtec or Zapotec populations. This scholarship is also intended for those students who have applied for but are not awarded a FLAS fellowship, as they will be immediately considered for this scholarship opportunity and do not need to re-apply.
America's Award is an annual award for the best Latino/Latin American literature for children or young adults. Visit the America's Award site.
Applicants may propose to do research, attend courses, teach English or participate in a business internship in one of about 150 countries around the world. Visit the Fulbright Program site.
|The statements found on this page/site are for informational purposes only. While every effort is made to ensure that this information is up-to-date and accurate, official information can be found in the university publications.|