Academic Program Requirements and Checklist
Please use the following check-lists to facilitate the selections of courses. Note that changes may occur and that you need to be in contact with your advisor in order to choose classes not listed in the check-list and to make sure that you are fulfilling all requirements.
The Master of Arts Degree
Students are advised to consult the Bulletin of the Graduate Division for the official requirements.
For advising information, please visit our Contact Us page.
The following information is intended to give a general outline of the program. You may also visit our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) page for further information.
Fall 2013 Deadline
Step 1: CSUMentor Application—March 1
Step 2 and 3: File Completion—April 1
All application materials including departmental requirements must be submitted by the file completion date.
Admission to the program
In addition to University Admission Requirements, students must submit:
- A completed application (may be submitted electronically from www.csumentor.edu)
- GRE scores (SDSU code: 4682. No department code is needed);
- One set of official transcripts;
- Three letters of reference;
- A personal statement;
- TOEFL (if medium of instruction was in a language other than English).
- International students should visit the International Student Center website for specific application requirements for admission.
Items 4-5 (Letters of Reference and personal statement) should be mailed to:
Center for Latin American Studies
(Attention: Graduate Coordinator)
San Diego State University
5500 Campanile Drive
San Diego, CA 92182-6038
Requirements for the MA Degree
Summary of Requirements
The MA in Latin American Studies is a 30-unit program. There are four areas that need to be completed for the degree:
- 24 units from three departmental concentrations
- LATAM 600 and LATAM 601 (6 units)
- Thesis or Comprehensive Exam
- Language Competency
1. Students must complete 24 semester units drawn from 3 different departments (disciplines.) The primary concentration, Department A, consists of 12 units or four classes of which no more than two can be at the 500 level. Departments B and C each consist of six units or two classes of which only one may be at the 500 level.
Approved disciplines include Anthropology, Art, Communication, Economics, English, Geography, History, Latin American Studies, Political Science, Public Administration, Sociology, Spanish, Television-Film and New Media, and Women's Studies. Within these departments, please see the graduate bulletin for courses with sufficient Latin American content to be acceptable for the degree.
2. LATAM 600 and 601 (6 Units) are required for all students. LATAM 600 and LATAM 601 automatically satisfy the requirements of department B or C; with two additional LATAM courses they can be used to satisfy Department A.
3. Students have two options, either
4. Graduate Students are expected to fulfill their language proficiency requirements in addition to the 30 units required for the Master's degree. Students must demonstrate proficiency in Spanish through either
- the satisfactory completion of an oral and written examination
- the satisfactory completion of Spanish 201 and 202 and an examination administered by the Latin American Studies program, or
- the satisfactory completion of 3 units of 500 level and above course work in Spanish. In addition all students must satisfactorily complete Portuguese 101.
>> Current SDSU Class Schedule
Prospective graduate students, visit the Graduate Access Page (MyGAP). Using MyGAP you can build a customized web page containing personalized information about SDSU programs of specific interest to you.
>>Download the LATAM 499/798 Special Study Form (.pdf)
>>Download the LATAM 797 Research Topic Course Form (.pdf)
Joint MA Programs
In addition to offering an MA in Latin American Studies, the Center for Latin American Studies also offers other graduate degrees in conjunction with other programs at San Diego State University. These programs include: